Grilled Vegetable & Feta Panini
Grilled or broiled eggplant has a meaty texture and taste that, when piled on a sandwich with some tangy feta cheese, will satisfy even the most die-hard carnivores.
- 1 small eggplant, (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 4-ounce jar roasted red peppers, (about 1/3 cup), rinsed and chopped
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 2 crusty whole-wheat rolls
- Preheat grill or broiler to high.
- Cut eggplant crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick slices. If using a grill, oil the grill rack. Brush 1/2 teaspoon oil over both sides of the eggplant. Grill or broil until it is lightly browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Let cool slightly. Coarsely chop the eggplant and combine with red peppers in a small bowl. Season with pepper.
- Mash feta with a fork in a small bowl. Add lemon juice, oregano, crushed red pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon oil; blend until smooth and spreadable. Season with pepper.
- Slice rolls in half horizontally and scoop out about 1 inch of the soft interior from each half. Divide and spread the seasoned feta in the bottom half of each roll. Spoon the chopped eggplant and peppers over the cheese and replace the top half of each roll.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The sandwiches will keep, well wrapped, in the refrigerator for up to 8 hours.
Per serving: 294 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 5 g fiber; 829 mg sodium; 181 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (15% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other