Grilled Tuna Sandwich with Lemon-Chili Mayo for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Sturdy “country-style” bread works best for this healthy tuna sandwich recipe with watercress and chili-mayo. Eat the tuna sandwich warm, straight off the grill, or wrap it up and pack it in a cooler for a picnic dinner. Serve with grilled bell peppers tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 8-ounce tuna fillet, about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups watercress or baby arugula, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with oil. Brush tuna with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and salt.
- Grill the tuna, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Grill the bread, turning once, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder in a small bowl. Thinly slice the tuna with the grain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide the lemon-chili mayonnaise between 2 slices of bread (about 2 tablespoons each). Top with about 3/4 cup watercress (or arugula), the tuna and the remaining slices of bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and refrigerate the sandwiches for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 442 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 5 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 781 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012