Grilled Tuna Sandwich with Lemon-Chili Mayo for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Sturdy “country-style” bread works best for this healthy tuna sandwich recipe with watercress and chili-mayo. Eat the tuna sandwich warm, straight off the grill, or wrap it up and pack it in a cooler for a picnic dinner. Serve with grilled bell peppers tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 8-ounce tuna fillet, about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups watercress or baby arugula, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with oil. Brush tuna with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and salt.
- Grill the tuna, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Grill the bread, turning once, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder in a small bowl. Thinly slice the tuna with the grain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide the lemon-chili mayonnaise between 2 slices of bread (about 2 tablespoons each). Top with about 3/4 cup watercress (or arugula), the tuna and the remaining slices of bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and refrigerate the sandwiches for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 442 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 5 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 781 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012