Grilled Tuna Sandwich with Lemon-Chili Mayo for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Sturdy “country-style” bread works best for this healthy tuna sandwich recipe with watercress and chili-mayo. Eat the tuna sandwich warm, straight off the grill, or wrap it up and pack it in a cooler for a picnic dinner. Serve with grilled bell peppers tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 8-ounce tuna fillet, about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups watercress or baby arugula, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with oil. Brush tuna with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and salt.
- Grill the tuna, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Grill the bread, turning once, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder in a small bowl. Thinly slice the tuna with the grain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide the lemon-chili mayonnaise between 2 slices of bread (about 2 tablespoons each). Top with about 3/4 cup watercress (or arugula), the tuna and the remaining slices of bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and refrigerate the sandwiches for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 442 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 5 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 781 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012