Grilled Tuna Sandwich with Lemon-Chili Mayo for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2012
Sturdy “country-style” bread works best for this healthy tuna sandwich recipe with watercress and chili-mayo. Eat the tuna sandwich warm, straight off the grill, or wrap it up and pack it in a cooler for a picnic dinner. Serve with grilled bell peppers tossed with extra-virgin olive oil and vinegar and a glass of Sauvignon Blanc.
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 8-ounce tuna fillet, about 1 inch thick
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups watercress or baby arugula, tough stems removed
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lightly brush both sides of bread slices with oil. Brush tuna with the remaining oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon chili powder and salt.
- Grill the tuna, turning once, until cooked through, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Grill the bread, turning once, until beginning to brown, about 1 minute per side.
- Combine mayonnaise, lemon zest, lemon juice and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder in a small bowl. Thinly slice the tuna with the grain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, divide the lemon-chili mayonnaise between 2 slices of bread (about 2 tablespoons each). Top with about 3/4 cup watercress (or arugula), the tuna and the remaining slices of bread.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap and refrigerate the sandwiches for up to 4 hours.
Per serving: 442 calories; 19 g fat (2 g sat, 9 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 32 g carbohydrates; 4 g added sugars; 36 g protein; 5 g fiber; 759 mg sodium; 781 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (33% daily value), Magnesium (24% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin C (22% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2012