Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
Tomatillos are delicious raw, but they take on a sweet, smoky flavor when cooked on the grill. This quick salsa makes a great topping for grilled meats and fish and it's excellent with eggs and corn tortillas. If you like, add some diced avocado just before serving.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat grill.
- Grill tomatillos, onion slices and jalapenos, turning occasionally, until soft and a bit charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove vegetables as they are ready. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and stem the jalapenos. Place the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos, lime juice, vinegar, brown sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well blended but still has a chunky texture. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Ingredient Note: Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes covered by a parchment-like husk. Often found in salsas and salads, they can be used raw but cooking enhances the flavor and softens the tough outer skin. Look for them near the tomatoes in markets.
Per serving: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique