Grilled Tomatillo Salsa
Tomatillos are delicious raw, but they take on a sweet, smoky flavor when cooked on the grill. This quick salsa makes a great topping for grilled meats and fish and it's excellent with eggs and corn tortillas. If you like, add some diced avocado just before serving.
- 1 pound tomatillos, husked and rinsed (see Ingredient note)
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Preheat grill.
- Grill tomatillos, onion slices and jalapenos, turning occasionally, until soft and a bit charred, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove vegetables as they are ready. Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Peel, seed and stem the jalapenos. Place the tomatillos, onions, jalapenos, lime juice, vinegar, brown sugar and salt in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is well blended but still has a chunky texture. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
- Ingredient Note: Tomatillos look like small green tomatoes covered by a parchment-like husk. Often found in salsas and salads, they can be used raw but cooking enhances the flavor and softens the tough outer skin. Look for them near the tomatoes in markets.
Per serving: 55 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 3 g fiber; 76 mg sodium; 357 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation