Grilled Tofu with a Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Mild-flavored tofu benefits from this intensely flavored lemon juice-and-garlic-based marinade. If you have the time, marinate the tofu early in the day (up to 8 hours before serving) so it can absorb all the flavors.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad, (recipe follows)
- Preheat grill.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture for basting.
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a shallow glass dish. Add remaining marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Drain the tofu, discarding marinade. Grill the tofu over medium-high heat, basting occasionally with reserved lemon juice mixture, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side (see Tip). Serve immediately, topped with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- To make attractive grill marks on the tofu, rotate it 90° halfway through grilling for a cross-hatch pattern.
Per serving: 209 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 632 mg sodium; 402 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono), For Chopped Salad, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy