Grilled Tofu with a Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Mild-flavored tofu benefits from this intensely flavored lemon juice-and-garlic-based marinade. If you have the time, marinate the tofu early in the day (up to 8 hours before serving) so it can absorb all the flavors.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad, (recipe follows)
- Preheat grill.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture for basting.
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a shallow glass dish. Add remaining marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Drain the tofu, discarding marinade. Grill the tofu over medium-high heat, basting occasionally with reserved lemon juice mixture, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side (see Tip). Serve immediately, topped with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- To make attractive grill marks on the tofu, rotate it 90° halfway through grilling for a cross-hatch pattern.
Per serving: 209 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 632 mg sodium; 402 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono), For Chopped Salad, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy