Grilled Tofu with a Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Mild-flavored tofu benefits from this intensely flavored lemon juice-and-garlic-based marinade. If you have the time, marinate the tofu early in the day (up to 8 hours before serving) so it can absorb all the flavors.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad, (recipe follows)
- Preheat grill.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture for basting.
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a shallow glass dish. Add remaining marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Drain the tofu, discarding marinade. Grill the tofu over medium-high heat, basting occasionally with reserved lemon juice mixture, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side (see Tip). Serve immediately, topped with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- To make attractive grill marks on the tofu, rotate it 90° halfway through grilling for a cross-hatch pattern.
Per serving: 209 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 632 mg sodium; 402 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono), For Chopped Salad, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy