Grilled Tofu with a Mediterranean Chopped Salad
Mild-flavored tofu benefits from this intensely flavored lemon juice-and-garlic-based marinade. If you have the time, marinate the tofu early in the day (up to 8 hours before serving) so it can absorb all the flavors.
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu, preferably water-packed
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad, (recipe follows)
- Preheat grill.
- Whisk lemon juice, oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of this mixture for basting.
- Drain and rinse tofu; pat dry. Cut the block crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices and place in a shallow glass dish. Add remaining marinade and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or for up to 8 hours.
- Meanwhile, make Mediterranean Chopped Salad.
- Lightly oil the grill rack (hold a piece of oil-soaked paper towel with tongs and rub it over the grate). Drain the tofu, discarding marinade. Grill the tofu over medium-high heat, basting occasionally with reserved lemon juice mixture, until lightly browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side (see Tip). Serve immediately, topped with the salad.
Tips & Notes
- To make attractive grill marks on the tofu, rotate it 90° halfway through grilling for a cross-hatch pattern.
Per serving: 209 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 3 g fiber; 632 mg sodium; 402 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat, 2 fat (mono), For Chopped Salad, 1 vegetable, 2 fat (mono)
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy