Grilled Steaks Balsamico
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
A simple marinade of pureed dried figs and store-bought balsamic vinaigrette adds intense flavor to steak. This recipe is adapted from Lori Welander's grand prize-winning recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cook-Off.
- 1/3 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 dried figs, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 pound sirloin steak, 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup herb & garlic creamy cheese spread, such as Boursin
- Place vinaigrette and figs in a blender or food processor; process until blended. Place in a large sealable plastic bag with steak and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard marinade. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Season with salt and pepper, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm cheese in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until melted. Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve each portion with a dollop of the cheese sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel and use tongs to rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat, 2 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (27% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- March/April 2008