Grilled Steaks Balsamico
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
A simple marinade of pureed dried figs and store-bought balsamic vinaigrette adds intense flavor to steak. This recipe is adapted from Lori Welander's grand prize-winning recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cook-Off.
- 1/3 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 dried figs, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 pound sirloin steak, 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup herb & garlic creamy cheese spread, such as Boursin
- Place vinaigrette and figs in a blender or food processor; process until blended. Place in a large sealable plastic bag with steak and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard marinade. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Season with salt and pepper, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm cheese in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until melted. Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve each portion with a dollop of the cheese sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel and use tongs to rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat, 2 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (27% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- March/April 2008