Grilled Steaks Balsamico
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
A simple marinade of pureed dried figs and store-bought balsamic vinaigrette adds intense flavor to steak. This recipe is adapted from Lori Welander's grand prize-winning recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cook-Off.
- 1/3 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 dried figs, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 pound sirloin steak, 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup herb & garlic creamy cheese spread, such as Boursin
- Place vinaigrette and figs in a blender or food processor; process until blended. Place in a large sealable plastic bag with steak and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard marinade. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Season with salt and pepper, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm cheese in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until melted. Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve each portion with a dollop of the cheese sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel and use tongs to rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat, 2 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (27% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2008