Grilled Steaks Balsamico
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
A simple marinade of pureed dried figs and store-bought balsamic vinaigrette adds intense flavor to steak. This recipe is adapted from Lori Welander's grand prize-winning recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cook-Off.
- 1/3 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 dried figs, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 pound sirloin steak, 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup herb & garlic creamy cheese spread, such as Boursin
- Place vinaigrette and figs in a blender or food processor; process until blended. Place in a large sealable plastic bag with steak and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard marinade. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Season with salt and pepper, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm cheese in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until melted. Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve each portion with a dollop of the cheese sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel and use tongs to rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat, 2 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (27% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2008
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)