Grilled Steaks Balsamico
From EatingWell: March/April 2008
A simple marinade of pureed dried figs and store-bought balsamic vinaigrette adds intense flavor to steak. This recipe is adapted from Lori Welander's grand prize-winning recipe from the 2003 National Beef Cook-Off.
- 1/3 cup prepared balsamic vinaigrette
- 2 dried figs, stems trimmed, chopped
- 1 pound sirloin steak, 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup herb & garlic creamy cheese spread, such as Boursin
- Place vinaigrette and figs in a blender or food processor; process until blended. Place in a large sealable plastic bag with steak and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 6 hours or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Remove the steak from the marinade; discard marinade. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak for 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium-rare depending on thickness. Transfer to a clean cutting board. Season with salt and pepper, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, warm cheese in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring often, until melted. Carve the steak into thin slices. Serve each portion with a dollop of the cheese sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day in advance.
- Tip: To oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel and use tongs to rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 226 calories; 13 g fat (7 g sat, 2 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 328 mg sodium; 305 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (27% dv).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- March/April 2008