Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Eggplant for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Here’s a healthy pepper, tomato, eggplant and steak salad recipe that will convince anyone that, yes, salad can be a satisfying dinner. We toast dried oregano to make it especially aromatic and flavorful and then use it liberally to season the salad. Serve it over a bed of watercress or arugula with a crusty baguette to soak up the dressing.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 8 ounces flank steak, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus 1/8 teaspoon, divided
- 1 sweet Italian pepper or 1 small bell pepper, cut into 2-inch wide strips
- 1 baby eggplant (about 8 ounces) or half a 1-pound eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large tomato, cut into wedges
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 small clove garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to high.
- Cook oregano in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until it smells toasty, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Cut steak in half lengthwise (with the grain); season on both sides with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Brush both sides of pepper and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the meat, turning once, 8 to 10 minutes total for medium. Grill the pepper, turning once, until softened and charred in spots, about 10 minutes. Grill the eggplant, turning once, until browned and slightly soft, about 8 minutes.
- While the steak rests, add tomato, onion and garlic to the bowl with the oregano. Drizzle with vinegar and the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Chop the pepper and eggplant; add to the bowl. Cut the steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices, add to the bowl and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 422 calories; 28 g fat (5 g sat, 18 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 833 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (65% daily value), Zinc (32% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)