Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Eggplant
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Yes, steak can be part of a heart-healthy dinner, especially when you choose lean flank steak and pair it with a tomato and eggplant salad tossed with olive oil. In this grilled steak salad recipe, we toast dried oregano to season the salad and make it especially aromatic.
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 2 sweet Italian peppers or 1 large bell pepper, cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 pound), cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- Preheat grill to high.
- Cook oregano in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Cut steak in half lengthwise; season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Brush peppers and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the meat, turning once, about 10 minutes total for medium. Grill the peppers, turning once, until softened and charred in spots (about 10 minutes) and the eggplant until browned and slightly soft (about 8 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to the bowl with the oregano. Drizzle with vinegar and the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Chop the eggplant and peppers and cut the steak across the grain into thin slices; add to the bowl and toss to combine.
Tips & Notes
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 359 calories; 21 g fat (4 g sat, 13 g mono); 70 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 652 mg sodium; 833 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (66% daily value), Zinc (32% dv), Potassium (24% dv), Vitamin A (18% dv), Iron (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2013
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)