Grilled Steak with Pepper Relish for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Here, we toss colorful bell peppers in a balsamic-herb vinaigrette and grill them in a foil packet at the same time as the steak for a no-fuss dinner for two. Serve with corn on the cob.
- 1 1/2 small or 1 large red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine bell peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, capers, 1 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried) and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stack two 20-inch-long pieces of foil. Arrange the pepper mixture on one half and fold the foil. Tightly seal the packet by crimping and folding the edges together.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder, the remaining thyme and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the steak and foil packet on the grill. Grill the steak about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium. Grill the packet until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak with the peppers.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Zinc (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2010