Grilled Steak with Pepper Relish for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Here, we toss colorful bell peppers in a balsamic-herb vinaigrette and grill them in a foil packet at the same time as the steak for a no-fuss dinner for two. Serve with corn on the cob.
- 1 1/2 small or 1 large red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine bell peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, capers, 1 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried) and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stack two 20-inch-long pieces of foil. Arrange the pepper mixture on one half and fold the foil. Tightly seal the packet by crimping and folding the edges together.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder, the remaining thyme and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the steak and foil packet on the grill. Grill the steak about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium. Grill the packet until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak with the peppers.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Zinc (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010