Grilled Steak with Pepper Relish for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Here, we toss colorful bell peppers in a balsamic-herb vinaigrette and grill them in a foil packet at the same time as the steak for a no-fuss dinner for two. Serve with corn on the cob.
- 1 1/2 small or 1 large red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine bell peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, capers, 1 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried) and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stack two 20-inch-long pieces of foil. Arrange the pepper mixture on one half and fold the foil. Tightly seal the packet by crimping and folding the edges together.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder, the remaining thyme and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the steak and foil packet on the grill. Grill the steak about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium. Grill the packet until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak with the peppers.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Zinc (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 2010