Grilled Steak with Pepper Relish for Two
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Here, we toss colorful bell peppers in a balsamic-herb vinaigrette and grill them in a foil packet at the same time as the steak for a no-fuss dinner for two. Serve with corn on the cob.
- 1 1/2 small or 1 large red, yellow and/or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons capers, rinsed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 8 ounces sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine bell peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, capers, 1 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried) and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stack two 20-inch-long pieces of foil. Arrange the pepper mixture on one half and fold the foil. Tightly seal the packet by crimping and folding the edges together.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder, the remaining thyme and 1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the steak and foil packet on the grill. Grill the steak about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium. Grill the packet until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak with the peppers.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Zinc (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010