Grilled Steak with Pepper Relish
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
Here, we toss colorful bell peppers in a balsamic-herb vinaigrette and grill them in a foil packet at the same time as the steak. Serve with corn on the cob.
- 3 small red, yellow and/or orange bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 pound sirloin steak or strip steak (1-1 1/4 inches thick), trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Combine bell peppers, onion, vinegar, oil, capers, 2 teaspoons fresh thyme (or 3/4 teaspoon dried) and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stack two 30-inch-long pieces of foil. Arrange the pepper mixture on one half and fold the foil. Tightly seal the packet by crimping and folding the edges together.
- Sprinkle both sides of steak with garlic powder, the remaining thyme and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Place the steak and foil packet on the grill. Grill the steak about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 minutes per side for medium. Grill the packet until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Let the steak rest for 5 minutes. Serve the steak with the peppers.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 202 calories; 8 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 365 mg sodium; 454 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (35% dv), Zinc (29% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2010