Grilled Squid Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
This classic Korean side dish (or appetizer) stars squid mixed with crunchy grated carrots and pine nuts, then moistened with a spicy soy dressing. One key is to grill the squid very quickly over blazing high heat to create some charring on the surface before the interior is overcooked.
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Korean chile powder (see Notes)
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated or minced fresh ginger
- 1 pound cleaned squid tubes and/or tentacles (see Notes)
- 1/4 cup grated carrot
- 2 tablespoons toasted pine nuts (see Tip), finely chopped
- Whisk canola oil, vinegar, chile powder, soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar and ginger in a medium bowl. Set aside about 3 tablespoons in a small bowl for dressing.
- Add squid tubes and/or tentacles to the remaining marinade. Turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 hours.
- About 20 minutes before you’re ready to grill, preheat a gas grill to high or prepare a charcoal fire. Brush the grill rack clean.
- Lift the squid pieces one at a time from the marinade, letting the excess liquid drip back into the bowl. (Discard the marinade.) Grill the squid, turning once or twice, until lightly charred but still tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a clean cutting board; cut tubes into bite-size rings and leave tentacles whole or cut in half, if desired. Place in a medium bowl with the reserved dressing, carrot and pine nuts; toss to combine. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving. RETURN TO SEARCH RESULTS » Grilled Squid Salad - another healthy recipe from EatingWell ADVERTISEMENT
- Note: Korean chile powder (gochugaru, gochugalu or Korean “crushed red pepper”) is made from thin red peppers that are sun-dried on woven mats or strung together and hung from the eaves of thatch-roofed houses throughout the countryside. Find it in Korean or Asian markets or online from koamart.com. Store, airtight, in the refrigerator or freezer indefinitely.
- Note: Squid (aka calamari) is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Typically it’s available as a mix of “tubes and tentacles,” but you can also find just “tubes” fresh at some fish counters. If it’s not already cleaned, with its cartilage and ink removed, ask the fishmonger to clean it for you.
- Kitchen Tip: To toast nuts and seeds, cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- DIY grill basket: Itâ€™s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they donâ€™t fall into the fire. If you donâ€™t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this â€œbasketâ€ will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.
Per serving: 146 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 0 g fiber; 148 mg sodium; 222 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (16% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2010