Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust
A double jolt of coffee comes from crushed beans in the crust and coffee in the vinaigrette—an eye-opening dish with tons of flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled zucchini and summer squash.
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons strong freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1-pound beef sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare grill.
- Smash and peel 1 of the garlic cloves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in brewed coffee and vinegar. Season with ground pepper and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together and set aside.
- Cut the remaining clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side over both sides of the steak. Rub oil over the surface and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat.
- Salt the steak and grill until it reaches desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Fan the meat on plates and drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 156 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 316 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique