Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust
A double jolt of coffee comes from crushed beans in the crust and coffee in the vinaigrette—an eye-opening dish with tons of flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled zucchini and summer squash.
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons strong freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1-pound beef sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare grill.
- Smash and peel 1 of the garlic cloves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in brewed coffee and vinegar. Season with ground pepper and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together and set aside.
- Cut the remaining clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side over both sides of the steak. Rub oil over the surface and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat.
- Salt the steak and grill until it reaches desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Fan the meat on plates and drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 156 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 316 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)