Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust
A double jolt of coffee comes from crushed beans in the crust and coffee in the vinaigrette—an eye-opening dish with tons of flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled zucchini and summer squash.
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons strong freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1-pound beef sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare grill.
- Smash and peel 1 of the garlic cloves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in brewed coffee and vinegar. Season with ground pepper and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together and set aside.
- Cut the remaining clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side over both sides of the steak. Rub oil over the surface and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat.
- Salt the steak and grill until it reaches desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Fan the meat on plates and drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 156 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 316 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique