Grilled Sirloin with a Coffee Bean-Peppercorn Crust
A double jolt of coffee comes from crushed beans in the crust and coffee in the vinaigrette—an eye-opening dish with tons of flavor. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled zucchini and summer squash.
- 2 small cloves garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons strong freshly brewed coffee
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons whole coffee beans, (not flavored beans)
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 1-pound beef sirloin steak (about 1 inch thick), trimmed of fat
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Prepare grill.
- Smash and peel 1 of the garlic cloves. Sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with a chef’s knife. Transfer to a small bowl and whisk in brewed coffee and vinegar. Season with ground pepper and set the vinaigrette aside.
- Place coffee beans and peppercorns on a cutting board; coarsely crush with the bottom of a heavy pan. Mix the crushed coffee beans and peppercorns together and set aside.
- Cut the remaining clove of garlic in half and rub the cut side over both sides of the steak. Rub oil over the surface and coat with the coffee-peppercorn mixture, pressing it into the meat.
- Salt the steak and grill until it reaches desired doneness, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer the steak to a clean cutting board and let it rest for a few minutes before carving into thin slices across the grain. Fan the meat on plates and drizzle with the reserved vinaigrette. Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 156 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 119 mg sodium; 316 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (37% daily value), Zinc (28% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 0
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat