Grilled Salmon with Mustard & Herbs
Salmon cooks over a bed of lemon and fresh herbs to infuse it with flavor and keep the fish tender and moist. We like a blend of thyme, tarragon and oregano, but any of your favorite herbs will work. Make it a meal: Serve with grilled new potatoes tossed in an herb vinaigrette and steamed green beans.
- 2 lemons, thinly sliced, plus 1 lemon cut into wedges for garnish
- 20-30 sprigs mixed fresh herbs, plus 2 tablespoons chopped, divided
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 pound center-cut salmon, skinned (see Tip)
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Lay two 9-inch pieces of heavy-duty foil on top of each other and place on a rimless baking sheet. Arrange lemon slices in two layers in the center of the foil. Spread herb sprigs over the lemons. With the side of a chef’s knife, mash garlic with salt to form a paste. Transfer to a small dish and stir in mustard and the remaining 2 tablespoons chopped herbs. Spread the mixture over both sides of the salmon. Place the salmon on the herb sprigs.
- Slide the foil and salmon off the baking sheet onto the grill without disturbing the salmon-lemon stack. Cover the grill; cook until the salmon is opaque in the center, 18 to 24 minutes. Wearing oven mitts, carefully transfer foil and salmon back onto the baking sheet. Cut the salmon into 4 portions and serve with lemon wedges (discard herb sprigs and lemon slices).
Tips & Notes
- Tip: How to skin a salmon fillet: Place skin-side down. Starting at the tail end, slip a long knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
Per serving: 212 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 261 mg sodium; 428 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (60% daily value), Vitamin C (17% dv), excellent source of omega-3s.
Exchanges: 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Entertaining, formal
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, fish/seafood
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)