Grilled Rosemary-Scented Chicken with Sweet & Sour Onion Jam
This healthy grilled chicken recipe gets tons of flavor from fresh rosemary sprigs. For a sophisticated meal, slow-cooked onions and a savory black olive paste provide the perfect accompaniment.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet onions, such as Vidalia, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup distilled white vinegar, plus more to taste
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 ounces each), trimmed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 large sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 teaspoons prepared black olive paste (see Tip) or olive tapenade
- To prepare onion jam: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a 12-inch skillet (not nonstick) over medium heat. Add onions and sugar. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and most of their liquid has evaporated, 10 to 20 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring, until the onions turn deep golden, 10 to 20 minutes more. (Add 1 or 2 tablespoons water if the onions start to scorch.)
- Add garlic and rosemary; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup vinegar and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and more vinegar, if desired. Set aside.
- To prepare chicken: Prepare a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium-high.
- Rub chicken breasts with 1 1/2 teaspoons oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place rosemary sprigs on the grill and lay chicken breasts over them. Grill until the chicken is browned on the bottom, about 5 minutes. Turn, keeping the rosemary under the chicken, and grill until no trace of pink remains in the center, about 5 minutes more. Discard rosemary. Cut chicken breasts in half or slice crosswise. Serve the chicken with black olive paste (or tapenade) and the onion jam.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: An equal amount of minced black olives can be substituted for the black olive paste.
Per serving: 272 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 21 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 16 g total sugars; 24 g protein; 2 g fiber; 279 mg sodium; 391 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique