Grilled Portobello “Steak” Sandwiches with Blue Cheese Sauce
Blue cheese sauce gives these gutsy grilled mushroom sandwiches a classic steakhouse flavor.
- Blue Cheese Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 3 teaspoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices whole-wheat country bread
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 3-4 inches in diameter
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups trimmed arugula, or watercress
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Prepare Blue Cheese Sauce. Set aside.
- Dip a pastry brush in water, then lightly brush 1 teaspoon oil over both sides of bread. Grill (or toast) the bread, about 1 minute per side. Set aside.
- Lightly brush tomatoes, mushrooms and onion slices with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the vegetables (or pan-sear in batches) until browned on both sides: about 1 minute per side for tomatoes, 3 to 5 minutes per side for mushrooms and onion. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separate onion slices into rings.
- To assemble, spread the reserved cheese sauce over the grilled bread. Divide arugula (or watercress) among the bread slices and arrange the grilled vegetables on top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 267 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 267 mg sodium; 1107 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (55% daily value), Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique