Grilled Portobello “Steak” Sandwiches with Blue Cheese Sauce
Blue cheese sauce gives these gutsy grilled mushroom sandwiches a classic steakhouse flavor.
- Blue Cheese Sauce, (recipe follows)
- 3 teaspoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices whole-wheat country bread
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, 3-4 inches in diameter
- 1 sweet onion, such as Vidalia, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups trimmed arugula, or watercress
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat a grill to medium-high.
- Prepare Blue Cheese Sauce. Set aside.
- Dip a pastry brush in water, then lightly brush 1 teaspoon oil over both sides of bread. Grill (or toast) the bread, about 1 minute per side. Set aside.
- Lightly brush tomatoes, mushrooms and onion slices with remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the vegetables (or pan-sear in batches) until browned on both sides: about 1 minute per side for tomatoes, 3 to 5 minutes per side for mushrooms and onion. Cut mushrooms into 1/2-inch-thick slices and separate onion slices into rings.
- To assemble, spread the reserved cheese sauce over the grilled bread. Divide arugula (or watercress) among the bread slices and arrange the grilled vegetables on top. Sprinkle with walnuts. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 267 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 34 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein; 5 g fiber; 267 mg sodium; 1107 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (55% daily value), Fiber (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique