Grilled Pizza with Eggplant, Tomatoes & Feta
For this Greek-style pizza, eggplant slices are grilled, chopped and tossed with fresh tomatoes, feta and mint; the mixture is spread on the pizza to finish cooking.
- 1 pound Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, (recipe follows) or other prepared dough
- 1 large eggplant, (about 1 1/4 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese, (about 2 ounces)
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, divided
- Prepare Whole-Wheat Pizza Dough, if using. To cook pizzas on a charcoal grill, build a medium-hot fire in one half of the grill (two bricks placed end-to-end work well as a divider). For a gas grill with two burners, preheat one burner on high, leaving the other unlit. For a single-burner gas grill, preheat on high, and lower the flame to cook the second side of the pizzas.
- Toss eggplant slices with 1 tablespoon oil in a large bowl. Sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper and grill, turning often, until tender, about 8 minutes. Let cool; chop coarsely.
- Combine the chopped eggplant with tomatoes, feta cheese, 2 tablespoons mint and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll out the pizza dough into 4 circles and place on a floured cutting board. Bring the dough, toppings and a pair of tongs to grillside.
- Place 2 of the dough circles on the hot side of the grill. Within 1 minute the dough will puff slightly, and the underside will firm up and be striped with grill marks. Use tongs to flip the crusts over and onto the cooler side of the grill.
- Distribute half of the eggplant mixture on the crusts after turning. Cover the grill and cook, rotating the pizzas once or twice, until the toppings are heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pizzas from the grill. Repeat Steps 5 and 6 with the remaining dough and toppings. Just before serving, scatter the remaining 2 tablespoons mint over the pizzas.
Per serving: 409 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 8 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 89 g carbohydrates; 18 g protein; 14 g fiber; 1178 mg sodium; 858 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (45% daily value), Folate (29% dv), Potassium (28% dv), Fiber (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 medium-fat meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)