Grilled Okra & Hot Peppers
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
The fire of the grill creates a tender texture while infusing the okra with subtle heat in this easy okra recipe. You can adjust the level of spiciness in this side dish by choosing chiles that are either tame, incendiary or anywhere in between.
- 1 pound okra, stem ends trimmed
- 2 fresh chile peppers, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place a grill basket on the grill and preheat on high for 10 minutes. (Or position oven rack 5 inches from heat source; preheat broiler to high.)
- Combine okra, peppers, oil, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to the grill basket (or to a rimmed baking sheet).
- Grill (or broil) until the okra is bright green and just tender, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- DIY grill basket: Itâ€™s best to use a grill basket when grilling small ingredients so they donâ€™t fall into the fire. If you donâ€™t have one, fold a 24-inch-long piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this â€œbasketâ€ will prevent the food from sliding off the grates.
Per serving: 71 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 2 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 299 mg sodium; 358 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (57% daily value), Vitamin A (18% dv), Folate (17% dv), Magnesium (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014