Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Pureed plum tomatoes make the base for the dressing, and are a natural complement to the grilled vegetables.
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick ovals
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices (rings kept intact)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably imported (3 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, preferably Kalamata, pitted and cut in half
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make salad dressing: Combine 2 tomatoes, lemon juice, broth, oil and oregano in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Prepare a grill. Lightly oil grill rack. Cook eggplant, zucchini, 4 tomatoes, fennel, onion and lemon slices, in batches if necessary, until browned and tender. (Fennel will take 4 to 5 minutes per side; eggplant, zucchini and onion 2 to 3 minutes per side; and tomatoes and lemon 1 to 2 minutes per side.) As the vegetables are done, transfer them to a large shallow serving dish. Toss gently with the dressing.
- Garnish the salad with feta, black olives and a grinding of black pepper.
Per serving: 171 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 10 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 1051 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995