Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Pureed plum tomatoes make the base for the dressing, and are a natural complement to the grilled vegetables.
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick ovals
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices (rings kept intact)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably imported (3 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, preferably Kalamata, pitted and cut in half
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make salad dressing: Combine 2 tomatoes, lemon juice, broth, oil and oregano in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Prepare a grill. Lightly oil grill rack. Cook eggplant, zucchini, 4 tomatoes, fennel, onion and lemon slices, in batches if necessary, until browned and tender. (Fennel will take 4 to 5 minutes per side; eggplant, zucchini and onion 2 to 3 minutes per side; and tomatoes and lemon 1 to 2 minutes per side.) As the vegetables are done, transfer them to a large shallow serving dish. Toss gently with the dressing.
- Garnish the salad with feta, black olives and a grinding of black pepper.
Per serving: 171 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 10 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 1051 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995