Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Pureed plum tomatoes make the base for the dressing, and are a natural complement to the grilled vegetables.
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick ovals
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices (rings kept intact)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably imported (3 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, preferably Kalamata, pitted and cut in half
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make salad dressing: Combine 2 tomatoes, lemon juice, broth, oil and oregano in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Prepare a grill. Lightly oil grill rack. Cook eggplant, zucchini, 4 tomatoes, fennel, onion and lemon slices, in batches if necessary, until browned and tender. (Fennel will take 4 to 5 minutes per side; eggplant, zucchini and onion 2 to 3 minutes per side; and tomatoes and lemon 1 to 2 minutes per side.) As the vegetables are done, transfer them to a large shallow serving dish. Toss gently with the dressing.
- Garnish the salad with feta, black olives and a grinding of black pepper.
Per serving: 171 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 10 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 1051 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 1995