Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Pureed plum tomatoes make the base for the dressing, and are a natural complement to the grilled vegetables.
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick ovals
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices (rings kept intact)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably imported (3 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, preferably Kalamata, pitted and cut in half
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make salad dressing: Combine 2 tomatoes, lemon juice, broth, oil and oregano in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Prepare a grill. Lightly oil grill rack. Cook eggplant, zucchini, 4 tomatoes, fennel, onion and lemon slices, in batches if necessary, until browned and tender. (Fennel will take 4 to 5 minutes per side; eggplant, zucchini and onion 2 to 3 minutes per side; and tomatoes and lemon 1 to 2 minutes per side.) As the vegetables are done, transfer them to a large shallow serving dish. Toss gently with the dressing.
- Garnish the salad with feta, black olives and a grinding of black pepper.
Per serving: 171 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 10 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 1051 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)