Grilled Mediterranean Vegetable Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 1995
Pureed plum tomatoes make the base for the dressing, and are a natural complement to the grilled vegetables.
- 2 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/4-inch-thick rounds
- 2 small zucchini, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch-thick ovals
- 4 plum tomatoes, cored and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 8 wedges
- 1 red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch-thick slices (rings kept intact)
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably imported (3 ounces)
- 8 imported black olives, preferably Kalamata, pitted and cut in half
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- To make salad dressing: Combine 2 tomatoes, lemon juice, broth, oil and oregano in a blender or food processor; blend or process until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To make salad: Prepare a grill. Lightly oil grill rack. Cook eggplant, zucchini, 4 tomatoes, fennel, onion and lemon slices, in batches if necessary, until browned and tender. (Fennel will take 4 to 5 minutes per side; eggplant, zucchini and onion 2 to 3 minutes per side; and tomatoes and lemon 1 to 2 minutes per side.) As the vegetables are done, transfer them to a large shallow serving dish. Toss gently with the dressing.
- Garnish the salad with feta, black olives and a grinding of black pepper.
Per serving: 171 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 10 g fiber; 247 mg sodium; 1051 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (103% daily value), Potassium (30% dv), Vitamin A (21% dv), Folate (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 4 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 1995