Grilled Manchego with Spinach & Spicy Plum Chutney
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Admittedly, this dish is a bit more labor-intensive than the grilled-cheese sandwiches of your youth, but the extra effort pays off with maximum flavor. The unusual sweet-tart chutney is also wonderful on toast or with roast pork.
- Spicy Plum Chutney, (recipe follows)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, rinsed, with water still clinging to leaves
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Manchego or sharp Cheddar cheese
- Prepare Spicy Plum Chutney.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander in the sink; press lightly with a spatula to extract any excess water.
- Mix butter and oil in a small bowl. Place bread on a work surface and brush the top of each slice with the butter mixture. Turn the slices over and spread 2 teaspoons of the plum chutney on 2 slices of bread. Top the chutney with cheese. Layer the spinach over the cheese and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Place the sandwiches in a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, until golden on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and continue cooking until the second side is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the remaining chutney for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The chutney will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 316 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 425 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two