Grilled Manchego with Spinach & Spicy Plum Chutney
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Admittedly, this dish is a bit more labor-intensive than the grilled-cheese sandwiches of your youth, but the extra effort pays off with maximum flavor. The unusual sweet-tart chutney is also wonderful on toast or with roast pork.
- Spicy Plum Chutney, (recipe follows)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, rinsed, with water still clinging to leaves
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Manchego or sharp Cheddar cheese
- Prepare Spicy Plum Chutney.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander in the sink; press lightly with a spatula to extract any excess water.
- Mix butter and oil in a small bowl. Place bread on a work surface and brush the top of each slice with the butter mixture. Turn the slices over and spread 2 teaspoons of the plum chutney on 2 slices of bread. Top the chutney with cheese. Layer the spinach over the cheese and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Place the sandwiches in a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, until golden on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and continue cooking until the second side is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the remaining chutney for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The chutney will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 316 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 425 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two