Grilled Manchego with Spinach & Spicy Plum Chutney
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Admittedly, this dish is a bit more labor-intensive than the grilled-cheese sandwiches of your youth, but the extra effort pays off with maximum flavor. The unusual sweet-tart chutney is also wonderful on toast or with roast pork.
- Spicy Plum Chutney, (recipe follows)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, rinsed, with water still clinging to leaves
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Manchego or sharp Cheddar cheese
- Prepare Spicy Plum Chutney.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander in the sink; press lightly with a spatula to extract any excess water.
- Mix butter and oil in a small bowl. Place bread on a work surface and brush the top of each slice with the butter mixture. Turn the slices over and spread 2 teaspoons of the plum chutney on 2 slices of bread. Top the chutney with cheese. Layer the spinach over the cheese and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Place the sandwiches in a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, until golden on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and continue cooking until the second side is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the remaining chutney for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The chutney will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 316 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 425 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two