Grilled Manchego with Spinach & Spicy Plum Chutney
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Admittedly, this dish is a bit more labor-intensive than the grilled-cheese sandwiches of your youth, but the extra effort pays off with maximum flavor. The unusual sweet-tart chutney is also wonderful on toast or with roast pork.
- Spicy Plum Chutney, (recipe follows)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach, rinsed, with water still clinging to leaves
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices whole-wheat or sourdough bread
- 3/4 cup finely shredded Manchego or sharp Cheddar cheese
- Prepare Spicy Plum Chutney.
- Place spinach in a microwave-safe bowl; cover and microwave until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a colander in the sink; press lightly with a spatula to extract any excess water.
- Mix butter and oil in a small bowl. Place bread on a work surface and brush the top of each slice with the butter mixture. Turn the slices over and spread 2 teaspoons of the plum chutney on 2 slices of bread. Top the chutney with cheese. Layer the spinach over the cheese and top with the remaining 2 slices of bread, buttered side out.
- Place the sandwiches in a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook, until golden on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Turn the sandwiches over and continue cooking until the second side is golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Cut the sandwiches in half and serve with the remaining chutney for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: The chutney will keep for 1 week in the refrigerator.
Per serving: 316 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 425 mg sodium; 235 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (70% daily value), Calcium & Vitamin C (25% dv), Folate (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two