Grilled Lamb Chops with Eggplant Salad
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Here we grill eggplant slices and red onion to toss in a salad with fresh mint and parsley to accompany grilled lamb chops. Serve with whole-grain rice pilaf and green beans.
- 1 medium eggplant, (about 1 pound), peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 lamb loin chops, 1-1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed (1 1/2-1 3/4 pounds total)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Spray both sides of eggplant and onion rounds with cooking spray. Grill the vegetables, turning once, until browned on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a cutting board. When cool enough to handle, chop the eggplant and onion and combine in a medium bowl with lemon juice, parsley, mint, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and cayenne.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle lamb chops with pepper and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Grill the chops until browned on both sides and cooked to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium. Serve with the eggplant salad.
Per serving: 260 calories; 12 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 27 g protein; 5 g fiber; 659 mg sodium; 674 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Potassium (19% dv), Folate (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009