Grilled Eggplant & Tomato Stacks
From EatingWell: July/August 2010
You can grill the eggplant rounds up to a day in advance, then assemble the eggplant, tomato and mozzarella “stacks” at the last minute. To make the eggplant and tomato stacks look symmetrical, use eggplant and tomatoes with approximately the same diameter.
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium eggplant (3/4-1 pound), cut into 6 rounds about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt, divided
- 6 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 2 large beefsteak tomatoes, each cut into 3 slices about 3/4 inch thick
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into 6 thin slices
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Use 2 teaspoons oil to brush both sides of eggplant slices; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Grill the eggplant slices for 5 minutes. Turn; continue grilling until tender and marked with grill lines, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a large platter.
- Spread each eggplant slice with 1 teaspoon pesto. Top with a slice of tomato, a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf.
- Drizzle vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the towers; sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 145 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 323 mg sodium; 309 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (15% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 high fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- July/August 2010