Grilled Eggplant Dip
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This grilled eggplant dip recipe is a lighter take on baba ganoush, with the smoky eggplant brightened by herbs and lemon juice rather than tahini. Serve with crostini or use as a sandwich spread that’ll put plain mayo to shame.
- 2 eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pierce eggplants all over with a knife. Place on the grill rack and roast, turning about every 5 minutes, until charred on all sides and completely soft and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total. (Alternatively, char the eggplants directly over a gas flame, turning every 5 minutes, then roast in a 425°F oven until completely soft, 10 to 20 minutes.) Let cool.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh; finely chop with a knife or pulse in a food processor until almost smooth. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and combine with lemon juice, mint, shallot, thyme, oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and swirl the top with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with more mint, thyme and/or oregano.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 351 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- July/August 2014