Grilled Eggplant Dip
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This grilled eggplant dip recipe is a lighter take on baba ganoush, with the smoky eggplant brightened by herbs and lemon juice rather than tahini. Serve with crostini or use as a sandwich spread that’ll put plain mayo to shame.
- 2 eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pierce eggplants all over with a knife. Place on the grill rack and roast, turning about every 5 minutes, until charred on all sides and completely soft and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total. (Alternatively, char the eggplants directly over a gas flame, turning every 5 minutes, then roast in a 425°F oven until completely soft, 10 to 20 minutes.) Let cool.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh; finely chop with a knife or pulse in a food processor until almost smooth. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and combine with lemon juice, mint, shallot, thyme, oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and swirl the top with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with more mint, thyme and/or oregano.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 351 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2014