Grilled Eggplant Dip
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This grilled eggplant dip recipe is a lighter take on baba ganoush, with the smoky eggplant brightened by herbs and lemon juice rather than tahini. Serve with crostini or use as a sandwich spread that’ll put plain mayo to shame.
- 2 eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pierce eggplants all over with a knife. Place on the grill rack and roast, turning about every 5 minutes, until charred on all sides and completely soft and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total. (Alternatively, char the eggplants directly over a gas flame, turning every 5 minutes, then roast in a 425°F oven until completely soft, 10 to 20 minutes.) Let cool.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh; finely chop with a knife or pulse in a food processor until almost smooth. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and combine with lemon juice, mint, shallot, thyme, oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and swirl the top with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with more mint, thyme and/or oregano.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 351 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2014