Grilled Eggplant Dip
From EatingWell: July/August 2014
This grilled eggplant dip recipe is a lighter take on baba ganoush, with the smoky eggplant brightened by herbs and lemon juice rather than tahini. Serve with crostini or use as a sandwich spread that’ll put plain mayo to shame.
- 2 eggplants (about 1 pound each)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 teaspoon, divided
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Pierce eggplants all over with a knife. Place on the grill rack and roast, turning about every 5 minutes, until charred on all sides and completely soft and tender, 20 to 25 minutes total. (Alternatively, char the eggplants directly over a gas flame, turning every 5 minutes, then roast in a 425°F oven until completely soft, 10 to 20 minutes.) Let cool.
- Cut the eggplants in half and scoop out the flesh; finely chop with a knife or pulse in a food processor until almost smooth. Transfer the eggplant to a bowl and combine with lemon juice, mint, shallot, thyme, oregano, 1 tablespoon oil, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and swirl the top with the back of a spoon. Drizzle with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with more mint, thyme and/or oregano.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Per serving: 52 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 3 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 351 mg sodium; 134 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- July/August 2014