Grilled Duck Quesadillas with Cilantro Cream
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Duck's gotten the unfortunate reputation of being both hard to cook and far too fatty. But duck breasts, with the skin removed, make a sophisticated, quick dinner, perfect for when company drops by. Still, you can substitute chicken breasts here, if you like. Serve these creamy quesadillas with a pitcher of Sangria or a fruit punch.
- 12 ounces boneless duck breast, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Rub duck breast with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning every 3 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast reads 145°F, about 12 minutes total. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing very thinly crosswise.
- Meanwhile, mix cilantro, yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl until combined.
- Cover one half of each tortilla with sliced duck, scallions and cheese. Fold the tortillas in half and carefully transfer them to the grill. Grill until the quesadillas are crispy and golden and the cheese is just melted, 11/2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with the cilantro cream and lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Grill the duck (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 238 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique