Grilled Duck Quesadillas with Cilantro Cream
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Duck's gotten the unfortunate reputation of being both hard to cook and far too fatty. But duck breasts, with the skin removed, make a sophisticated, quick dinner, perfect for when company drops by. Still, you can substitute chicken breasts here, if you like. Serve these creamy quesadillas with a pitcher of Sangria or a fruit punch.
- 12 ounces boneless duck breast, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Rub duck breast with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning every 3 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast reads 145°F, about 12 minutes total. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing very thinly crosswise.
- Meanwhile, mix cilantro, yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl until combined.
- Cover one half of each tortilla with sliced duck, scallions and cheese. Fold the tortillas in half and carefully transfer them to the grill. Grill until the quesadillas are crispy and golden and the cheese is just melted, 11/2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with the cilantro cream and lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Grill the duck (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 238 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less