Grilled Duck Quesadillas with Cilantro Cream
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Duck's gotten the unfortunate reputation of being both hard to cook and far too fatty. But duck breasts, with the skin removed, make a sophisticated, quick dinner, perfect for when company drops by. Still, you can substitute chicken breasts here, if you like. Serve these creamy quesadillas with a pitcher of Sangria or a fruit punch.
- 12 ounces boneless duck breast, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Rub duck breast with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning every 3 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast reads 145°F, about 12 minutes total. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing very thinly crosswise.
- Meanwhile, mix cilantro, yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl until combined.
- Cover one half of each tortilla with sliced duck, scallions and cheese. Fold the tortillas in half and carefully transfer them to the grill. Grill until the quesadillas are crispy and golden and the cheese is just melted, 11/2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with the cilantro cream and lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Grill the duck (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 238 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique