Grilled Duck Quesadillas with Cilantro Cream
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Duck's gotten the unfortunate reputation of being both hard to cook and far too fatty. But duck breasts, with the skin removed, make a sophisticated, quick dinner, perfect for when company drops by. Still, you can substitute chicken breasts here, if you like. Serve these creamy quesadillas with a pitcher of Sangria or a fruit punch.
- 12 ounces boneless duck breast, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Rub duck breast with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning every 3 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast reads 145°F, about 12 minutes total. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing very thinly crosswise.
- Meanwhile, mix cilantro, yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl until combined.
- Cover one half of each tortilla with sliced duck, scallions and cheese. Fold the tortillas in half and carefully transfer them to the grill. Grill until the quesadillas are crispy and golden and the cheese is just melted, 11/2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with the cilantro cream and lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Grill the duck (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 238 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Make ahead instructions
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique