Grilled Duck Quesadillas with Cilantro Cream
From EatingWell: The EatingWell Healthy in a Hurry Cookbook (2006)
Duck's gotten the unfortunate reputation of being both hard to cook and far too fatty. But duck breasts, with the skin removed, make a sophisticated, quick dinner, perfect for when company drops by. Still, you can substitute chicken breasts here, if you like. Serve these creamy quesadillas with a pitcher of Sangria or a fruit punch.
- 12 ounces boneless duck breast, skin removed
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 4 10-inch whole-wheat tortillas
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded reduced-fat pepper Jack cheese
- 4 lime wedges
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Rub duck breast with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill, turning every 3 minutes, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast reads 145°F, about 12 minutes total. Allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing very thinly crosswise.
- Meanwhile, mix cilantro, yogurt and sour cream in a small bowl until combined.
- Cover one half of each tortilla with sliced duck, scallions and cheese. Fold the tortillas in half and carefully transfer them to the grill. Grill until the quesadillas are crispy and golden and the cheese is just melted, 11/2 to 3 minutes per side. Slice each quesadilla into 4 wedges and serve with the cilantro cream and lime wedges.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Grill the duck (Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 238 calories; 12 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 19 g protein; 2 g fiber; 627 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Calcium (20% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Make ahead instructions