Grilled Curried Tofu with Sweet & Spicy Tamarind Chutney
From EatingWell: August/September 2006
Firm tofu is well suited for the grill because it does not fall apart. Seasoned with curry powder, the grilled tofu is not only filling, but also refreshing with its complementary sweet, spicy and tangy tamarind chutney served on the side for dipping. You may have extra chutney left over; serve it with grilled chicken or pork.
- 1 cup tamarind concentrate, (see Note)
- 10 small dates, (about 2 1/2 ounces), pitted and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons agave syrup, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- Pinch-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 2 14-ounce containers water-packed firm or extra-firm tofu, drained
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to high.
- Blend tamarind concentrate, dates, agave syrup, ginger, cumin, 1/4 teaspoon salt and cayenne (if using) in a blender until smooth.
- Cut each block of tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices. Lightly brush each slice with oil and season on both sides with a light sprinkle of curry powder, the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the tofu slices until golden and heated through, 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Serve hot with the tamarind chutney for dipping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the chutney (Step 2) for up to 1 week.
- Notes: Tamarind is a tropical tree that produces a sour-sweet fruit in a brown pod, with edible pulp. It's used in Asian and Indian curries, beverages and desserts. Purchase either tamarind concentrate or pulp. We found Thai brands of concentrate and pulp to work best in this recipe; Indian brands were too thick, dense and strong in flavor. To make your own “concentrate” combine 1/4 cup tamarind pulp and 1 cup hot water in a medium bowl. Let stand for 20 minutes. Break up the paste and mix it with the water with a fork. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve set over a bowl, pressing against the sieve to collect as much of the pulp as possible. Discard solids.
- Agave syrup or nectar is the naturally sweet juice extracted from the agave plant. It has a lower glycemic index and is lower in calories than table sugar, but is even sweeter. Use it in moderation when substituting for table sugar. Look for it near other sweeteners in health food stores.
- Tip: How to oil a grill rack: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 211 calories; 6 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 210 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (20% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, soy
- Preparation/ Technique
- August/September 2006