Grilled Chicken Sandwiches with Sherried Peaches
From EatingWell: July/August 1994
A peachy, peppery relish makes a lively contrast to the grilled chicken in these fun sandwiches. Make it a meal: Dress a sliced tomato and cucumber salad with balsamic vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil to serve alongside.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 2 onions, quartered and sliced (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 peaches, peeled, pitted and chopped (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup dry sherry, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- Salt, to taste
- 4 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 4 Kaiser or other large rolls, split
- 4 large lettuce leaves
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook, stirring, until softened and starting to color, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sugar, stirring until it dissolves and starts to bubble, about 2 minutes. Add peaches and cook until the mixture turns golden brown, about 4 more minutes. Add vinegar and sherry, bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened and jamlike, 5 to 10 minutes. Stir in crushed peppercorns and season with salt. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare grill or preheat broiler.
- Place each chicken breast between two layers of plastic wrap and flatten gently with a rolling pin or heavy skillet until approximately 1/4 inch thick. Brush chicken breasts lightly with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill or broil the chicken until no longer pink inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. While the chicken is cooking, toast the rolls on the grill or under the broiler.
- Place lettuce leaves on the bottom halves of the toasted rolls, followed by the chicken. Top with the peach-onion relish and the roll tops.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel peaches: Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Immerse peaches in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into a bowl of ice water to cool slightly. Transfer to a cutting board. Remove the skins with a paring knife.
- Note: Sherry is a type of fortified wine originally from southern Spain. Don't use the “cooking sherry” sold in many supermarkets—it can be surprisingly high in sodium. Instead, purchase dry sherry that's sold with other fortified wines in your wine or liquor store.
Per serving: 431 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 63 mg cholesterol; 60 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 5 g fiber; 482 mg sodium; 455 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (16% daily value), Selenium (29% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 1994
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)