Grilled Chicken Salad with a Fresh Strawberry Dressing
Balsamic vinegar, strawberries and black pepper are a classic Italian trio: spicy and sweet, refined and earthy. Here they combine in a delicious dinner salad, topped with grilled chicken and toasted almonds. This dressing is also great on a salad of arugula, goat cheese and pecans.
Fresh Strawberry Dressing
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons almond oil (see Tips) or canola oil
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, stemmed (2 cups; see Tips)
- 8 ounces snow peas, stemmed (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 4 whole strawberries for garnish
- To prepare dressing: Place strawberries, vinegar, pepper, sugar and salt in a blender or food processor; process until pureed, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add 2 tablespoons oil and process until smooth.
- To prepare salad: Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking vegetables. Prepare a grill or preheat broiler.
- Add asparagus, sugar snaps and snow peas to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water to refresh, then blot dry with paper towels. Whisk lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the vegetables and scallions; toss to coat.
- Rub chicken with 2 teaspoons canola oil and sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the chicken until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil the chicken on an oiled broiler pan 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.) Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divide the vegetable mixture among 4 plates. Arrange the chicken over the vegetables. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with almonds and garnish each serving with a strawberry. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Cook the vegetables (Steps 2-3) up to 4 hours before serving; store in the refrigerator under barely moistened paper towels.
- Tips: Almond oil is an unrefined oil pressed from almonds. You can find it in many supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store it in the refrigerator.
- Sugar snaps have a fibrous seam on the inside curve. To remove it, grasp the stem protruding from one end and pull it down the inside curve as if you were unzipping the pea.
- To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 319 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 429 mg sodium; 640 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Folate (37% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/4 fruit , 3 vegetable, 3 lean protein, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient