Grilled Chicken Salad with a Fresh Strawberry Dressing
Balsamic vinegar, strawberries and black pepper are a classic Italian trio: spicy and sweet, refined and earthy. Here they combine in a delicious dinner salad, topped with grilled chicken and toasted almonds. This dressing is also great on a salad of arugula, goat cheese and pecans.
Fresh Strawberry Dressing
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons almond oil (see Tips) or canola oil
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, stemmed (2 cups; see Tips)
- 8 ounces snow peas, stemmed (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 4 whole strawberries for garnish
- To prepare dressing: Place strawberries, vinegar, pepper, sugar and salt in a blender or food processor; process until pureed, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add 2 tablespoons oil and process until smooth.
- To prepare salad: Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking vegetables. Prepare a grill or preheat broiler.
- Add asparagus, sugar snaps and snow peas to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water to refresh, then blot dry with paper towels. Whisk lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the vegetables and scallions; toss to coat.
- Rub chicken with 2 teaspoons canola oil and sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the chicken until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil the chicken on an oiled broiler pan 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.) Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divide the vegetable mixture among 4 plates. Arrange the chicken over the vegetables. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with almonds and garnish each serving with a strawberry. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Cook the vegetables (Steps 2-3) up to 4 hours before serving; store in the refrigerator under barely moistened paper towels.
- Tips: Almond oil is an unrefined oil pressed from almonds. You can find it in many supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store it in the refrigerator.
- Sugar snaps have a fibrous seam on the inside curve. To remove it, grasp the stem protruding from one end and pull it down the inside curve as if you were unzipping the pea.
- To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 319 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 429 mg sodium; 640 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Folate (37% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/4 fruit , 3 vegetable, 3 lean protein, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient