Grilled Chicken Salad with a Fresh Strawberry Dressing
Balsamic vinegar, strawberries and black pepper are a classic Italian trio: spicy and sweet, refined and earthy. Here they combine in a delicious dinner salad, topped with grilled chicken and toasted almonds. This dressing is also great on a salad of arugula, goat cheese and pecans.
Fresh Strawberry Dressing
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed, hulled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons almond oil (see Tips) or canola oil
Grilled Chicken Salad
- 8 ounces thin asparagus, stem ends snapped off, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces sugar snap peas, stemmed (2 cups; see Tips)
- 8 ounces snow peas, stemmed (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (see Tips)
- 4 whole strawberries for garnish
- To prepare dressing: Place strawberries, vinegar, pepper, sugar and salt in a blender or food processor; process until pureed, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add 2 tablespoons oil and process until smooth.
- To prepare salad: Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking vegetables. Prepare a grill or preheat broiler.
- Add asparagus, sugar snaps and snow peas to the boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse with cold water to refresh, then blot dry with paper towels. Whisk lemon juice, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add the vegetables and scallions; toss to coat.
- Rub chicken with 2 teaspoons canola oil and sprinkle with lemon-pepper seasoning. Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the chicken until lightly browned and no longer pink in the center, about 6 minutes per side. (Alternatively, broil the chicken on an oiled broiler pan 4 to 6 inches from the heat source until cooked through, about 6 minutes per side.) Let rest for 5 minutes.
- Cut the chicken crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divide the vegetable mixture among 4 plates. Arrange the chicken over the vegetables. Spoon about 3 tablespoons of the dressing over each salad. Sprinkle with almonds and garnish each serving with a strawberry. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Cook the vegetables (Steps 2-3) up to 4 hours before serving; store in the refrigerator under barely moistened paper towels.
- Tips: Almond oil is an unrefined oil pressed from almonds. You can find it in many supermarkets and natural-foods stores. Store it in the refrigerator.
- Sugar snaps have a fibrous seam on the inside curve. To remove it, grasp the stem protruding from one end and pull it down the inside curve as if you were unzipping the pea.
- To toast sliced almonds: Place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.)
Per serving: 319 calories; 18 g fat (2 g sat, 11 g mono); 47 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 6 g fiber; 429 mg sodium; 640 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (160% daily value), Folate (37% dv), Vitamin A (28% dv), Iron (22% dv), Magnesium (19% dv), Potassium (18% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/4 fruit , 3 vegetable, 3 lean protein, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)