Southwest Grilled Chicken Caesar
From EatingWell: The Simple Art of EatingWell
In this Southwestern spin on the classic Caesar salad, avocado stands in for raw egg and some of the oil in this rich, creamy dressing. Grilled spice-rubbed chicken makes it satisfying.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders removed (see Tips)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder, divided
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 avocado, diced, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago or Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 10 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup croutons, preferably whole-wheat
- Preheat grill to high.
- Pound chicken breasts between 2 pieces of plastic wrap with a meat mallet to an even 3/4-inch thickness. Combine 1 teaspoon each cumin and chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt; sprinkle on the chicken.
- Oil the grill rack (see Tips). Grill the chicken until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Puree half the avocado, 1/4 cup cheese, anchovies, water, lemon juice, oil, garlic, pepper and the remaining cumin, chili powder and salt in a food processor until smooth. Gently toss with romaine, croutons, the remaining avocado and cheese in a large bowl. Serve topped with the grilled chicken.
Tips & Notes
- Tips: It’s difficult to find an individual chicken breast small enough for one portion. Removing the thin strip of meat from the underside of a 5-ounce breast—the chicken tender—removes about 1 ounce of meat and yields a perfect 4-ounce portion. Wrap and freeze the tenders and when you have gathered enough, use them in a stir-fry or for oven-baked chicken fingers.
- Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving: 360 calories; 21 g fat (5 g sat, 10 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 8 g fiber; 751 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (215% daily value), Vitamin C (63% dv), Folate (55% dv), Potassium (21% dv), Calcium (18% dv), Iron (16%)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- The Simple Art of EatingWell
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)