Grilled Calamari & Olive Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 1995
Grilled calamari, new potatoes, asparagus, red bell pepper, olives and basil come together in this delicious main-course salad.
- 1 pound calamari, trimmed and cleaned (see Note)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt & coarsely ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound new potatoes, scrubbed, quartered if large
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup black olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup small green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil, plus more to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- Preheat grill.
- Lightly score one side of each calamari body in a crosshatch pattern with the tip of a sharp knife. Brush the calamari (bodies and tentacles) with 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place the calamari on the grill over a medium-hot fire. Cover with a heavy object, such as a heavy skillet or a brick wrapped in foil. (Weighting the calamari ensures even cooking.) Grill for 2 minutes, flip and cook, weighted once again, until opaque, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook potatoes in boiling water just until tender when pierced with a fork, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water with a slotted spoon and set aside. Bring the water back to a boil and blanch asparagus just until tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and rinse well in cold water. Cut diagonally into pieces about 1 inch long, and set aside.
- Combine the reserved calamari, potatoes, asparagus and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with bell peppers, onion, olives, vinegar, basil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large bowl; toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve at room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Calamari, also known as squid, is sold frozen or fresh in the seafood department of the grocery store. Look for cleaned calamari, with its cartilage and ink removed; otherwise ask at the fish counter to have it cleaned.
Per serving: 263 calories; 11 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 176 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 465 mg sodium; 861 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (65% daily value), Vitamin C (169% dv), Potassium (25% dv), Iron (17% dv), Magnesium (15% dv), Selenium (51% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 2 very lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Father's Day
- March/April 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)