Grilled Apples with Cheese & Honey
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Dessert meets the cheese plate when you drizzle grilled apples and flavorful cheese with honey and toasted pecans for a quick and healthy finish to any meal for two. This is a good chance to try some exotic honeys—their nuances will shine in this simple dessert.
- 1 large or 2 small tart apples, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons almond or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce sharp Cheddar or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 teaspoons honey
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Toss apple slices with oil and sugar in a large bowl. Grill the apple slices until just tender and lightly marked, turning once, about 6 minutes total. Shave cheese into thin strips with a vegetable peeler. Top the apple slices with a sprinkling of cheese and nuts and drizzle with honey.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let your cheese come to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.
Per serving: 250 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 93 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- September/October 2007