Grilled Apples with Cheese & Honey
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Dessert meets the cheese plate when you drizzle grilled apples and flavorful cheese with honey and toasted pecans for a quick and healthy finish to any meal for two. This is a good chance to try some exotic honeys—their nuances will shine in this simple dessert.
- 1 large or 2 small tart apples, peeled and sliced into 1/2-inch-thick rounds
- 2 teaspoons almond or canola oil
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce sharp Cheddar or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- 4 teaspoons honey
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium heat. Toss apple slices with oil and sugar in a large bowl. Grill the apple slices until just tender and lightly marked, turning once, about 6 minutes total. Shave cheese into thin strips with a vegetable peeler. Top the apple slices with a sprinkling of cheese and nuts and drizzle with honey.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Let your cheese come to room temperature before serving for the best flavor.
Per serving: 250 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 3 g fiber; 93 mg sodium; 174 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2007